[W9RCA-News] Two public service opportunities

Jim Keeth AF9A at arrl.net
Fri Sep 21 16:05:52 EDT 2018

Greetings Fellow Hams,

If you have already volunteered or said you can't for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, you may ignore the rest of this message.

I am still looking for 8 more volunteers to provide communications support for the Indianapolis Marathon on Saturday November 3rd.  Volunteer communicators will be stationed at rest stops and other critical locations along the marathon route.  Volunteer communicators will be providing logistical communications, requesting medical assistance to their location, and providing situational awareness to the event staff and public safety.

If you are interested in being a volunteer communicator, please send me an email message at bwalls at arrl.net <mailto:bwalls at arrl.net> or simply respond to this message.  This is a full 26.2 mile marathon and some positions will be in place until almost 3 PM.  Please be sure to include any time restrictions you may have.

Regards,
Brent Walls, N9BA
Assistant Emergency Coordinator
Marion County, Indiana
Amateur Radio Emergency Service®

Phone: 317-557-7224
E-mail: bwalls at arrl.net <mailto:bwalls at arrl.net>

Greetings Fellow Hams,

The American Diabetes Association is in need communications assistance with their annual ADA Tour de Cure bike ride on Saturday October 20th.  The ride will start and end at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  The ride will occur on roads in Marion, Hendricks, and Boone counties with the farthest north point being in the Whitestown area.  The event organizers are planning to have a total of 3 water/aid stops along the route outside of the speedway and 5 inside the speedway.

I am looking for volunteers for the water/aid stops both along the outer route and inside the speedway. I will also be looking volunteers to act as APRS trackers for both the 50k and 75k lead and tail, SAGS, (SAGS should have a vehicle that can carry at least one bicycle and rider, APRS is encouraged)as well as several other areas along the course.  Volunteers should have at least a 2 meter mobile radio but a dual band is encouraged.  If you would like to volunteer, please respond to this message and indicate what type of position you are interested in.

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone you think would be interested in volunteering for the event. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

73,

Tony Stokes KU9V
(317) 627-5536
ku9v at arrl.net <mailto:ku9v at arrl.net>