[W9RCA-News] Aeronautical Mobile Test

Leroy Wignot lwignot at mssedco.com
Mon Sep 17 14:54:50 EDT 2012

UPDATE:

I had a really great day, no I had a blast with the whole trip!   My friend has a beautiful 1946 Ercoupe that is polished aluminum. Really a nice plane and Mark is a great pilot, I'm normally a little scared in private planes but not this time. We planned a flight from Westfield IN to Grissom AFB. During this flight I would operate my ham radio on 2M as the distance I could talk at 2000 feet to 4000 feet is much further than I could do on the ground. The flight time from Westfield IN airport to Grissom AFB is about 30 minutes and radio time about 20 minutes so goes by pretty quick. Westfield was a small grass field and of course Grissom had runway that was like 1 mile long. We started on time, connecting everything up and it was working great, had audio coming in the noise cancelling headphones for about 1 minute and then everything quit. I blew a fuse so we had to trouble shoot that, find another fuse, change it, and then lower the power on my rig from 25 watts to 5 watts.

Equipment was Yaesu FT2900M running to mag mount antenna laying on the shelf behind where we were sitting.  I did not make the range I expected in all directions but did get Franklin, IN for around 60-65 miles.

Going up made about 16 QSO's going up and we stayed around 2000 feet above ground and returning about 12 QSO's and peaked at around 4000 feet above ground. Returning I had problems with batteries running out on the noise cancelling headphones and having to reset about every 5 seconds. Getting into Grissom airspace and leaving Grissom took a lot of communication from my friend. While at Grissom we took a shuttle to the Dutch Cafe for lunch and then toured the Grissom AFB museum.  There were times I had 3 or 4 people calling or more.  Was just a bunch of noise.

I hope to try this again, there is actually a hole in the back of my friends plane where an outside antenna could be mounted and he is going to see if he can get an antenna that would work for 2M for that hole. I think an outside the plane antenna would work much better.

Thanks to everyone that listened and to everyone that called. There were several times where I could hear 3 or 4 people calling and had to pick the clearest.  Even when I could hear people it is still hard for me to copy down a call correctly!

Attached are pictures of the plane, Mark (owner and pilot) and myself. Approaching Grissom. Inside the cockpit.

73  WA4OTD

Leroy