[W9RCA-News] 10 Meter Contest this weekend!

Jim Keeth af9a at arrl.net
Fri Dec 9 11:11:03 EST 2011

Big signals out of Europe on 10m this morning (Friday)!

This weekend...
The ARRL 10 Meter Contest -- Get On While the Bands Are Hot!

Ten meters -- in case you haven't heard, is alive in a big way! That
means that the ARRL 10 Meter Contest -- coming up the weekend of
December 10-11 -- is going to be the one of the best we've seen in
years! During this event, many propagation modes will be available:
Sporadic-E will help you work stateside stations, a touch of meteor
scatter in the morning will give you split-second chances to work
stations -- you'd better be quick, though! -- and DX stations will be
plentiful, thanks to the return of F2 propagation. ARRL Contest
Branch Manager Sean Kutzko, KX9X, said that he keeps hearing from
numerous hams who have been licensed only three or four years,
telling him that they've never experienced a 10 meter opening because
they weren't licensed during the last solar cycle peak: "A common
phrase I'm hearing is, 'Now I understand what all the Old-Timers in
my club were talking about -- 10 meters is great!' With a
concentration of activity for the contest, there will be an
opportunity for the first time in several years to experience the
beauty of a wide-open 10 meter band. With so much excitement
worldwide over the great conditions, the 2011 ARRL 10 Meter Contest
could see the highest level of participation in a very long time!"
Read more here

Next weekend...
Round Up Those CW QSOs in the ARRL CW Rookie Roundup

The ARRL's Rookie Roundup comes around again on Sunday, December 18.
This time, the focus is on CW operation. The Rookie Roundup is an on-
the air event is designed to help newly licensed amateurs build their
HF and 6 meter operating skills. Similar to the ARRL Novice Roundup
that ran from 1952 until 1995, the Rookie Roundup combines a
competitive event with some on-the-air training, bringing fun and
Elmering into the 21st century. Three Rookie Roundups -- SSB, RTTY
and CW -- are held each calendar year: The CW running of the Rookie
Roundup will take place Sunday, December 18 from 1800-2359 UTC. Read
more here.