[W9RCA-News] SOLAR CYCLE 24 BEGINS!

Jim Keeth af9a at arrl.net
Sat Jan 5 22:21:08 EST 2008

SOLAR CYCLE 24 BEGINS:  Solar physicists have been waiting for the
appearance of a reversed-polarity sunspot to signal the start of the
next solar cycle. The wait is over. Yesterday, a magnetically reversed
sunspot emerged at solar latitude 30 N.

For reasons explained in a recent Science at NASA story, this marks the
beginning of Solar Cycle 24 and the first step toward a new solar
maximum. Intense solar activity won't begin right away. Solar cycles
usually take a few years to build from solar minimum (where we are now)
to Solar Max (expected in 2011 or 2012). It's a slow journey, but we're
on our way!